Gordonstoun International Summer School Terms & Conditions (2021)
Gordonstoun International Summer School
Terms & Conditions 2021
- Definitions and Interpretation
- In these Terms and Conditions the following terms shall have the following meanings:
Application Form: the GISS application form contained at Appendix A appended to these Terms and Conditions;
Fee: the fully inclusive fee for the Services is £5,500 per student. The Fee does not include transport to and from the Student’s place of residence, pocket money, private health care, medical expenses and / or bespoke airport transfers;
Full Fee Date: either:
- the 28th February 2021, by which date the Fee relating to the provision of the services must be received in full by GISS; or
- in the event that an application is made after the 28th February 2021, the Full Fee Date is 14 days after the issuing of the invoice by GISS or by the course start date, whichever occurs first;
Gordonstoun International Summer School: (‘GISS’, ‘Summer School’ or ‘the School’). GISS is operated by Gordonstoun Schools Limited (Company Number 288105 and Scottish Charity number SC037867) and having its registered address at Gordonstoun School, Duffus, Elgin, Morayshire IV30 5RT;
Services: the provision of the summer school for the Student by GISS, including accommodation, food, laundry, supervision, instruction, entertainment, activities, standard airport transfer, medical care provided on-site, and by the UK National Health Service;
Student: the child or children who will be attending GISS, as specified in the Application Form;
You or Your: the Student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) or other person with parental responsibility for the Student, being the person who has signed the Application Form, in such a capacity;
- The headings in these Terms and Conditions are for ease of understanding only, and do not form part of the Terms and Conditions.
- Application, Payment of Fee & Registration
2.1 Upon written acceptance by GISS of your application, you shall pay GISS the Fee in full by the Full Fee Date. Once GISS has received the Fees the Student’s registration has been completed, and the Student may attend the Summer School.
2.2 Both applications and registrations for GISS are accepted at the sole discretion of GISS, and are not transferable.
2.3 Payment of fees shall be made either by bank transfer or credit card, details of which will be included in the invoice.
- For any cancellations made after payment and prior to Full Fee Date, an administrative cost of £350 will be charged for the cancellation. Cancellations should be advised by email to: [email protected]
- If a student registration is cancelled after the Full Fee Date, the Fee will be retained in full by GISS as refunds will not be given after the Full Fee Date. (GISS recommends appropriate cancellation insurance be purchased, See section 10.4 Liability)
- You must complete and return the Student Health Form at the time of submitting your Application Form. GISS will not accept a Student application without a completed Student Health Form.
- GISS reserve the right not to approve your application on the grounds that a Student’s medical problem is not conductive to the Student’s, or other Students’ participation at GISS and / or GISS does not have the knowledge, expertise and / or experience to properly care for the Student.
- In the event that a Student becomes ill or incapacitated whilst a Student at GISS, you agree medical treatment being given as follows:
- in accordance with the recommendations of a qualified medical practitioner;
- routine medical care by GISS personnel and / or their agents;
- first aid medical care by GISS personnel and / or their agents;
- the issuing of medication which the Student brings to GISS, in accordance with your instructions;
- the issuing of prescription medication prescribed to the Student whilst at GISS; the issuing of over the counter medication, as and when required.
- In the event of an emergency, we will if practicable attempt to obtain your prior consent to urgent medical attention. However, should we be unable to contact you, we shall be authorised to make the decision on your behalf should consent be required for urgent treatment (including anaesthetic or operation) recommended by a doctor.
- You are responsible for informing GISS in writing of any medical issues (both physical and psychological) relating to the student by completing the Medical Form, appended at Appendix B to these Terms and Conditions. Once GISS have received the completed Medical Form they may seek further details from you at their sole discretion regarding the same. If, during the period when the Services are provided, GISS (based upon medical advice) conclude that the information provided in the Medical Form is not correct and full, or that it has changed since the time of completion of the Medical Form, they reserve the right to terminate the Services. No refund of the fee will be given to You and the costs of arranging for the Student to be returned to their place of residence will be entirely borne by You.
- If, after the Health form has been submitted, the Student becomes ill, suffers from any injury, or comes into contact with any contagious or infectious disease prior to the commencement of the Summer School, you must immediately notify GISS in writing and provide a medical certificate from the Student’s doctor, giving the Student approval to attend GISS.
- Any additional costs for medical treatment, such as emergency dental care or specialised private health care, together with reparation to the place of residence, will be charged to You.
- Travel & Transport
- Students must arrive on the designated arrivals and departure dates. Transfers for Students to and from either Aberdeen or Inverness Airport on the arrival and departure dates are included in the Fee.
- Should you or another person wish to accompany a Student or Students on the transfers, every reasonable effort will be made to include you on the transportation scheduled for the Students to the School. GISS is not responsible for scheduling or bearing the cost of Your return transportation to the airport.
- The cost of any excess baggage is entirely the responsibility of You.
- A valid passport is essential for travel to the UK, with an expiry date of at least 6 months beyond the end date of a visit.
- In the event that a Student requires a visa, you take full responsibility for ensuring that you obtain a visa. GISS will provide a Visa Support Letter if required on receipt of a scanned passport copy.
- Parents must complete and return the Travel Details Form by 31st May or if the application is accepted after this date then by the date agreed between the parties (which will be supplied in due course).
- Supply of Services
- GISS shall provide the Services to the Student.
- GISS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to withdraw the Student from any activity at any time, on the grounds of safety or unsuitability.
- Your Responsibilities
- You are responsible for all acts or omissions of the Student whilst the Student is at GISS. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, you shall fully indemnify GISS, their agents, contractors and / or employees for any loss, damage, costs or expenses resulting from such liability, injury or damage.
- You agree to the Student participating in the GISS programme, and you acknowledge that there is an inherent risk in all sporting and adventurous activities.
- It is your responsibility to provide GISS with such information (including name, address and other contact details) of every person who is a parent and / or guardian and / or person with parental responsibilities for the Student and / or other contact persons. By providing these details you confirm that GISS may contact these persons regarding the Student should they wish, or need, to do so and that they have provided their consent to be so contacted.
- It is your responsibility to tell GISS with whom the Student ordinarily resides.
- Student Behaviour
- Students are to display good manners and courtesy to all staff and students at all times.
- Students should treat their own possessions, those of GISS, other Students, staff or other third parties with respect.
- The following behaviour will not be tolerated by any student:
- Any behaviour which is contrary to the health and safety of the student, other students, staff or other persons;
- The possession or consumption of alcohol, tobacco or drugs;
- Intimate relations;
- Dishonesty or theft;
- Aggressive behaviour, bullying or unkindness towards others.
- GISS reserves the right to search the bags and personal property of all Students at their sole discretion.
- If a Student fails to meet the required Student Behaviour, GISS reserves the right to:
8.5.1 discipline the Student, in consultation with You, where possible;
8.5.2 remove the Student from GISS, without a refund. In these circumstances GISS will endeavour to liaise with you as to the most appropriate manner in which to return the Student to the Student’s place of residence. You will be liable for any costs associated with the return of the Student to the Student’s place of residence; and / or
8.5.3 inform the appropriate international, national or Scottish authorities.
- Valuables, Electronic Devices and Lost Property
- GISS will not be liable for any item of jewellery, electronics or other valuable property brought to the School by the Student.
- GISS will list and itemise all valuable items of property disclosed by the Student to GISS at the earliest possible occasion on the designated arrival date. On or before the Departure Date, GISS will check that the Student has the disclosed valuable property prior to departure. Where there is a discrepancy between the items recorded upon arrival and those recorded on departure, this will be notified to You.
- GISS will not be responsible for any property left at the School (by the Student or otherwise), and may dispose of any such property if not claimed by You within 6 weeks after the end of Summer School.
- Electronic devices, including mobile telephones, may only be used with the permission of a member of staff of GISS. Generally the time spent on electronic devices, including mobile telephones, will be limited to approximately a maximum of 60 minutes per day and at times designated by GISS.
- Except in respect of death or personal injury caused by GISS’ negligence, GISS shall not be liable to you or the Student by reason of any representation (unless fraudulent) or any implied warranty, conditions or other term, or any duty at common law or under the express terms of these Terms and Conditions for any loss, damage, cost, expense or other claim (whether caused by our negligence or the negligence of our servants, agents, contractors or otherwise), which arise out of or in connection with the provision of the Services or their use by you or the Student, and our entire liability under, or in connection with, these Terms and Conditions shall not exceed the amount of our Fees for the provision of the Services.
- Where GISS provides, in connection with the provision of the Services, any goods or equipment or services supplied by a third party, GISS does not give any warranty, guarantee or other terms as to their quality, fitness for purpose, performance or otherwise.
- GISS shall have no liability to the Student for any loss, damage, costs, expense or other claims for compensation arising from any instructions supplied by you which are incomplete, incorrect, inaccurate or illegible, or arising from the Student’s late arrival or non-arrival, or any other fault of you or the Student.
- You are advised to consider taking out appropriate insurance covering you and the Student, inter alia, against cancellation, curtailment, personal liability and lost property.
- GISS reserves the right to alter programmes, activities, itineraries, excursions, age brackets, premises and personnel as it thinks fit, and without notice.
- GISS will not be held liable for any issues arising from a Student Health Form being completed incorrectly or with any omissions.
- GISS will not be bound by any statement unless it is in writing and authorised by a Director of GISS or his or her designate.
- Data Protection, Confidentiality and References
- You consent to GISS retaining personal data relating to you/your child in paper or electronic format in accordance with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations (2018). You can view our Privacy Notice at https://giss.org.uk/privacy-policy/
- GISS will use your child’s personal data to manage and administrate their participation on the Summer School courses. Additionally, should you propose that your child be considered for entry to Gordonstoun for full time education, GISS may supply information and a reference in this respect. Any reference supplied by GISS shall be confidential. GISS will ensure that all information supplied relating to your child is accurate and any opinion given on their ability, aptitude for certain courses and character is fair. We cannot be liable for any loss you or our child is alleged to have suffered resulting from a reference or report given by GISS.
- GISS will use photographs and video of your child, taken by the School’s photographer, or by a commercial photographer appointed by the School, within the School, on the School’s website, and in School publications.
- Force Majeure
- The School will not assume responsibility or liability for any damage, loss, claim or injury (including claims for the alteration or cancellation of Summer School) resulting from events beyond our reasonable control including, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, incidents of terrorism, politically or religiously motivated violence, war, pandemic outbreak of disease, compliance with any law or governmental order, rule, regulation or direction, environmental contamination, malicious damage, threats to safety, fire or extreme weather.
- By making an application to enrol a child at GISS, the parent, guardian or other person with parental responsibilities, who has signed the Application Form, accepts that they shall be bound by these Terms and Conditions
- These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between GISS and you / the Student.
- Your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions is provided by signing the Application Form, contained at Appendix A.
- If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held by any competent authority to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, the validity of the other provisions of these Terms and Conditions and the remainder of the provision in question shall not be affected.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of Scotland, and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish Courts.